Thursday, June 13, 2024

Benefits of Worm Castings

I've had a fascination with earthworms for a long time, but it was just in the last few years that I realized how beneficial they really are. Earthworm castings (aka worm poop) can actually make your plants bigger, healthier, and reqire less water!  

I am in awe of how earthworms are able to turn gross, stinky, rotting garbage, and turn it into the most incredible, nutrient-dense, sweet-smelling earth! Earthworms are definitely underrated as the world's most hard-working, beneficial organisms that don't get nearly as much credit as they deserve. 

My Uncle Det is a former forest ranger and plant pathologist who has written many papers on plant biology. He taught me to truly appreciate good, healthy soil. I always remember him one day at a family get-together, getting down on his knees and smelling the dirt and going, "AAHHHHHHH!!!" Like, to him, it was the most wonderful smell in the world.

Back around the year 2000, I'd just bought my first computer and was able to do research on earthworms. I found a place that sold them, placed an order, and couldn't wait to get them in the mail. When they arrived, I was amazed to see how healthy and active they were... it was almost spooky... they were sort of like snakes. They'd actually recoil back like a snake would, when you touch it. 

Back then, I was living in a tiny studio in San Francisco, with a little garden on my balcony. But I did save my compost and was happy to feed it to the worms, and put their castings in the few plants I did have. 

During this earthworm-obsessed phase, I bought this book, "There's a Hair in my Dirt" by Gary Larson. I was working as a nanny at the time, and loved to read children's books to kids. I remember this guy Dan, one of the Dads of the kids I babysat for, kind of laughing and flipping through this book and going, "What kind of book is this? Wait... you're reading this to my kids?"  I was cracking up. It's not a typical children's book. Being a Gary Larson book, it's moderately dark. But I still think the kids enjoyed it.

Image Source: http://valleyviewworms.com/benefits/ 

 


Wow! Look at the difference in the size of these tomato plants that were grown with worm castings!

Earthworm Castings vs Potting Soil (PART 1) | VermisTerra and PRO-MIX






https://www.reddit.com/r/selfreliance/comments/xksa1t/8_reasons_to_use_earthworm_casting_on_your_garden/#lightbox

Click on the graphic below, to see it in a larger size. 




I can't wait to get one of these!










  





 






Image source: https://www.fflgettogethers.org/media/slxpx244/p-s2023_identifyingsoil_2jd_web.pdf


https://www.pinterest.com/pin/510454939012821254/




























 EASY BEGINNER Productive Worm Farm "STEP BY STEP"!


 


What came up when I asked Google:
do worms produce amino acids?

Yes, earthworms do produce amino acids, including both essential and non-essential ones. They obtain many of their essential amino acids through their diet, particularly from microorganisms in the soil and plant residues, and from gut bacteria. Earthworms also produce defense proteins that contain amino acids. 
Here's a more detailed look:
  • Essential Amino Acids:
    Earthworms can't synthesize certain essential amino acids on their own and must obtain them from their food. ResearchGate notes that earthworms get a significant amount of their essential amino acids from microorganisms in their diet and gut microbiome. 
  • Non-essential Amino Acids:
    Earthworms also produce non-essential amino acids, which are necessary for various bodily functions. ResearchGate reports that earthworm and earthworm meal are dominated by glutamic acid. 
  • Gut Microbiome:
    The gut microbiome of earthworms plays a crucial role in amino acid synthesis and absorption. Bacteria in their gut can contribute to the production of essential amino acids. 
  • Defense Proteins:
    Earthworms also produce defense proteins that contain amino acids, which are crucial for their protection. 
  • E Journal Undip suggests that histidine is the dominant essential amino acid in earthworms, while isoleucine is dominant in earthworm meal. 







No comments:

Post a Comment