Thursday, November 14, 2024

The Incredible Benefits if Growing HEMP

This might sound absurd, but I had some guilt about the thought of growing my own food, and encouraging others to do so. Why? Because so many of us are used to getting the majority of food from a supermarket or grocery store. Which means we've been keeping farmers in business. So.... what would happen to the farmers if we were to take away that support and income for farmers?

I kept thinking about that episode of Shark Tank where Johnny Georges, inventor of the Treet Tee Pee, was being pressured by Mr. Wonderful (who was trying to get him to inflate his pricing for a bigger profit). Johnny looked at him with the most sincere expression and said, "But they're farmers." Johnny's sincerity in that moment led to that being one of the greatest episodes of Shark Tank, of all time. It got me thinking, Damn, farmers really are the heart of America.

So, I had a lot of guilt about doing anything that might steer farmers from growing food, to make a living. 

But then I realized, farmers don't have to grow the same thing every year. They can grow a wide range of crops, and it doesn't necessarily have to be food.  Surely there must be other things they could grow, besides food, that could help them generate a profit, while making the world a better place at the same time. 

And the first thing that came to my mind was HEMP. But I didn't know that much about it, and knew I needed to do more research. 

I was doing this research in November of last year (2025), when the raging fires broke out in L.A..  I felt a real sense of urgency to let people know about the benefits of Industrial Hemp because it's FIRE RESISTANT!

I started out just wanting to make ONE page about the benefits of hemp. I soon found several videos that showed how fire-resistant it is, and wanted to include all of those on the page. But I kept on finding more and more videos. 

And then I wanted to make another page about the nutritional benefits of hemp, because I found so many videos on that topic... and then I wanted to make another page that shows how hemp rebar is stronger than steel rebar.... and it just went on and on, and I soon realized I needed to make a whole new blog, dedicated to Industrial Hemp. 

You can see that website, HERE. I'm also planning to write a book about the benefits of hemp!




Hemp is one of those things that any farmer can grow, to change the world. It has so many uses. It grows very quickly, needs very little water, and the CBD has lots of medicinal uses, including pain relief. 

I am not a pot smoker. I don't even like using THC gummies. I used to believe all people who tried to get medical cannabis were just doing so because they were looking for an excuse to smoke weed and get stoned. I was so un-educated about cannabis, I actually voted against legalizing marajuana in California, many years ago!

But then one day I watched the Sacred plant, put together by a Christian family, and was blown away. I couldn't believe how many medical benefits this plant really had! You can watch the first episode of The Sacred Plant, HERE, and see more videos on their YouTube channel

I got the opportunity to work at a legal indoor cannabis farm last year, and LOVED it. While I'm not a potsmoker (and neither were the people who owned the farm), I absolutely loved the smell of the plants as they were growing. The cannabis flowers are so rich in terpenoids and have so many healing properties, I felt like I got a high just from working in the same room as the plants. Not a stoney kind of high, but just a natural, positive-energy kind of high.

I realize the indoor cannabis industry is different from the outdoor hemp industry, but because the plants are in the same family, it really got me to see the value of growing these types of plants.  

I was shocked to see how many people are getting into the hemp industry. It seems as if it could be a really great way to remediate the soil in areas that have been damaged by toxins in the water (like Hinkley, California). Hemp grows very quickly, it can grow in dry, desert conditions, and it can produce so many different things! The seeds are full of nutrition and can be used for food. The leaves can be used for cattle feed. The fibers can be woven into eco-friendly fabric. It can even be used to make construction materials and biofuel!  You can see lots more about what it can do, in the videos embedded further down the page. 

 

Here's some information I wanted to share, from an internet search...

From google:

What is hemp commonly used for?

Uses. Hemp is used to make a variety of commercial and industrial products, including rope, textiles, clothing, shoes, food, paper, bioplastics, insulation, and biofuel.

 

Hemp is a good option given its light weight and durability. As a substitute for plastic, hemp-derived products are used in different sectors such as car manufacturing, railway, aviation and aerospace. Other uses of hemp include cosmetics (oils, lotions, shampoos, etc.) and energy production (biofuels).


Sep 16, 2022 — Hemp can be used to make oil, paper, plastic, clothing, milk, protein-rich flour or tea, and can even be found in lip balm, bath bombs and liquid soap.


Learning from Western Fiber: How to Process Hemp into Fiber and Create your Own Market




Check out this tiny home that was made from HEMP!



I went to carpentry school many years ago, and worked for a short time in the carpenter's union. I was kind of alarmed to see how many toxic chemicals people are exposed to, on the job. So it was nice to see that building materials like insulation can be created with hemp fibers! Check out this video by Western Fiber - a company that makes lots of eco-friendly products from Hemp! 


Hemp vs. Marijuana: Meet The Innovator Capitalizing On A $28 Billion Legal Loophole | Forbes


 


The Pennsylvania Hemp Industry



 

Growing and Selling Hemp | FULL EPISODE | Prairie Yard & Garden 3712




No comments:

Post a Comment